Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Publican

The Publican is a restaurant I've been dying to try for a while but it's hard to get a reservation without some advance planning.  The Publican is known for it's beer as well as it's pork.

I went with two friends, one of which had been there twice before and had nothing but raves about the food.  The other had been there for brunch and loved it as well.

Their beer menu is extensive.  I'm not really a beer person but I started with a hard cider and then had a lambic. 

I was disappointed that by the time we arrived, they were out of the foie gras and the dungeness crab, two dishes that I was really interested in.

The food is all shared and they bring it out in courses that they put together.

We had a plate of 12 oysters, the selection of 3 hams, potted rillettes, pork belly, beets with burrata cheese, and the fried pork rinds.

Fried pork rinds

Selection of 3 hams

Potted rillettes

Pork belly

Food was good but I wasn't completely overwhelmed.  With all the other choices out there to eat at in the city I'll branch out and try some new restaurants instead of returning.

2 comments:

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

I was super impressed with The Publican, but an impressive beer list is super important to me.

weezermonkey said...

That ham looks sad. :(