Monday, December 28, 2009

Turkey Overview

We did a total of 8 nights in Turkey - 4 nights in Istanbul, 3 nights in Cappadocia, and 1 night at the airport hotel.  It was a fabulous country and I cannot recommend it enough for a vacation.  I would have loved to visit some of the beaches as well had we been there in warmer weather.

We thought the 4 nights in Istanbul and the 3 nights in Cappadocia was the perfect amount of time.

In Istanbul I'd say there are two different areas you can stay in - Sultanahmet which is near all the historical sites, or Taksim which is near a lot of dining and nightlife.  Taxis are pretty cheap so in my opinion it's not a huge deal which neighborhood you stay in.

Our top list of things to do in Istanbul was the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and Blue Mosque.

In Cappadocia we debated between staying in Goreme and Urgup since those are the two most popular towns.  We went with Goreme based on advice from various message boards and were very happy with our choice.

Our top list of things in Cappadocia was the sunrise balloon ride, a hike through one of the valleys to see the landscape up close, and eating a testi kebab.

The Husband's advice is to bring a bottle of Febreze.  People smoke everywhere.  I can't tell you how many cab rides we had where there was a no smoking sign in the cab but the driver was smoking like a chimney.  I did have to dry clean all my coats and sweaters when I got back home which is not something we're used to since our town is now no smoking anywhere indoors.





And by the time you're reading this we will be in Bangkok.  After we return I'll have posts on Thailand, Cambodia, and Tokyo.

1 comment:

sultanahmet said...

Sultanahmet is so delightful.

I will return to my destiny.