Monday, December 7, 2009

Istanbul - Hagia Sophia

Next stop was the Hagia Sophia, right next door to the Topkapi Palace.  Hagia Sophia (St. Sophia in English or Ayasofya in Turkish) was built starting in 532 A.D. by the Emperor Justinian.  The Orthodox church was finished less than 6 years later in 537 A.D.  It is known as the preeminent example of Byzantine architecture.

The church was converted to a mosque in 1453 after the Ottomans and Mehmet II conquered Constantinople (Istanbul).  The minarets (which are a main component of mosques) were later added.

The Hagia Sophia was converted into the current museum during the 1930s.

As an engineer I was fascinated that a building of this size and complexity could be built in less than 6 years with the primitive technology of the time.  And I am amazed that it is still standing today, and in such good condition.  Many buildings we design now are only intended to last for 50 - 100 years.  This one has been around for nearly 1500 years.

Unfortunately our pictures don't seem to do the building justice.  It is so vast and spacious on the interior.  I think this was my favorite site in Istanbul.

The dome was being restored while we were there so there was a giant scaffolding set up in the center of the dome.  The scaffolding itself seemed to be an engineering feat.

Entry is 20 Turkish Lira a person and the Hagia Sophia is closed on Mondays.









































2 comments:

weezermonkey said...

I marveled at this years ago in my AP Art History class. So jealous you saw it in real life!

Ly said...

You got great pictures of this amazing landmark! Isn't it incredible in person? Unfortunately the day I was there I was so sleep-deprived from my travels I didn't enjoy it as much as I would of liked. Did you visit the Blue Mosque as well? Equally faascinating!