Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oudtshoorn

We drove from Wilderness north to Oudtshoorn then on to Knysna in one day.  The main reason we were going to Oudtshoorn was to see the ostriches.  Well I wanted to see the ostriches.  Nick hates birds and would not go near them. 

There are also the Cango Caves to explore or the Cango Wildlife Ranch for animal lovers.

We only really drove through the town but I wouldn't recommend staying there.  It seemed very touristy and a lot of the hotels looked kind of rundown to me.

This was our guide

The ostrich giving a man a kiss


I'm getting a hug from the ostrich









And now I'm riding an ostrich!




Yes I'm falling off right here


Who doesn't love a face like that?

This part of the tour is called the ostrich "massage"


Nick is standing on an ostrich egg. This was the closest he got to an ostrich all day.

After the ostrich farm, we spent the afternoon driving the Swartberg pass over a 17 mile gravel road




There were stunning views



And locals having picnics

And finally we reached the top

There was a lonely picnic bench at the top


On the other side of the pass is Prince Albert.  Frommer's had told me this was a cute little village.  In reality we found it creepy.  The whole town looked deserted.  Not a single person walking on the downtown streets.  We had trouble finding somewhere to eat lunch.  Do not follow Frommer's advice to overnight in this town.  Stick to Wilderness or Knysna.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I love the pics of you riding the ostrich :)

Kennedy said...

The ostrich's feathers look cool.

weezermonkey said...

BEST POST EVER!!!!!

Liz said...

I love all the photos of the ostrich and of course of you riding him/her! :)

I had a scary encounter with an ostrich once while drunk at a campground outside of Rome... I'll save that story to tell you next time we are drinking together :)