Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hotels in SE Asia

We are finally finished booking hotels for our Thailand and Cambodia trip. Well actually I'd booked a long time ago but then changed my mind.

In Bangkok we are staying at the Millennium Hilton. We were originally booked at Adelphi Suites but liked the idea of staying on the river as first time visitors to Bangkok. The river gives easy access to the main wats and the Grand Palace. Plus we were able to pay for 3 nights using our hotel points so it ended up being cheaper than the Adelphi Suites. Plus I fell in love with the pool at the Hilton although I probably won't even use it since we'll be so busy.

In Siem Reap we are staying at Viroth's Hotel. I love a cute little boutique hotel and am really excited about our stay here.

Back to Thailand in Phuket we're going back to corporate America with a stay at the Holiday Inn Phuket. Normally I'm not a fan of Holiday Inns but this was rated as one of the top hotels in the world or Asia on TripAdvisor's yearly rankings last year. I think it was something about the best value. Plus, once again we are using points to stay there. Hotels that are free are always just a teensy bit more attractive.

Our last stop on Phi Phi Island we are once again at a Holiday Inn and once again it is free. Phi Phi Island is small and there's really not a lot of choices. I believe the Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island is the second nicest hotel on the island. So either this is the nicest Holiday Inn ever or the other hotels would probably not be our first choices.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I strongly considered Viroth's and can't wait to read about your experience there!

Good call re: staying on the river. I think you'll be glad you did. I originally considered staying at the Peninsula but changed after BIL planned his destination wedding in Italy :)

You're getting close!

HaveShoesWillTravel said...

I really wanted the Peninsula. A little too pricey in the high season. When I was searching last year I found it for $200 in the low season and I definitely would have jumped on that.