Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bangkok - Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew

The next stop was the Grand Palace compound which includes Wat Phra Kaew, also known as the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.  

Admission is 350 baht and there is a strict dress code to enter.  

Shoulders and knees must be covered.  Flip-flops are not supposed to be worn.  I forgot to change into my other sandals I'd brought in my purse and was not stopped though.  There are clothes that you an enter at the entrance of the palace.  They are the same for boys and girls.  So what that means is guys get to wear long skirts!  I almost wish I'd conveniently "forgotten" to tell Nick about the dress code so I could take pictures of him in the embarassing outfit.  Also nothing see through, no leggings as pants, and no vast amounts of cleavage  or you'll have to cover up.

Admission is also valid for 7 days at Vimanmek Mansion, another palace in town.

Like Wat Pho, the colors were beautiful.  I found Wat Phra Kaew to be the most beautifully decorated temple that we saw in Thailand.  Jewels, gold, color everywhere.

You aren't actually allowed to photograph inside the temple that holds the emerald Buddha though so no pictures of the main event.











No comments: