Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Next Year's Plans

The Husband has tons of free air miles saved up and it doesn't look like travel for work is going to slow down any time soon either. We've been looking into some international trips that take advantage of our miles.

We talked about doing Paris or Amsterdam for a long weekend over Labor Day or else later in September for our anniversary. I've already been to Paris but it was on a school trip in high school and I was only 16 or 17. I'm sure it's much different as an adult where I can actually drink since I don't have to follow school rules and I'm not in a tour group.

Neither of us have ever been to Amsterdam. The Husband is worried that people will think we're going for the weekend just to smoke pot. I would prefer to go to Holland in the spring though when all the tulips are in bloom. We had a great time just doing 2 days in London earlier this year so we think a weekend trip is doable.

Then as I was playing on Expedia instead of studying for exams I saw that this February there are some cruises through Asia for only $1200 for 2 weeks. In my mind I'm thinking we can use our free miles to get there and it's only $1200 including food so we only have to pay for excursions. Well first you can't use miles to fly into one city and out of another. Then next February's cruises are much higher priced that they're not worth it. And the most important thing - I completely forgot that I'd be in school next February and can't just take off for 2 weeks. I'm supposed to be studying but I can't even remember I'm still in school. I think I'm completely losing it.

After speaking to some of my favorite travel buffs, I think we've decided to try to do 2 weeks in Thailand next year right after Christmas. I was convinced cruising was not the way to see the countries. (But the thought of seeing so many countries in only 2 weeks is so tempting!) We are definitely looking at Thailand with maybe a stop in Cambodia or Laos. With free flights and cheap hotels available, this should be an economical trip. Probably cheaper than any 2 week trip we could do in the US, especially with our champagne taste. Plus we would get to go to an elephant training facility and ride elephants. How cool is that?

We are a little nervous about the food. The Husband is a very picky eater. He doesn't eat vegetables. He doesn't eat anything he doesn't know what it is. And I'm afraid 2 weeks of Asian food will just send him over the edge. He might be able to handle it for one night at home knowing his next meal will be a cheeseburger, but 2 weeks is a lot. Add to this my very sensitive stomach and it's a recipe for disaster. Luckily with the help of frommers.com I have identified several steak, Italian, and seafood restaurants in Bangkok to make him happy.

We probably won't actually decide if we're going until June or so but I think I'm going to pick up a couple of guidebooks at the library tonight anyway.

No comments: